Our application process is designed to assess candidates potential to add value to an early-stage company. While there are certain general qualities that speak to this potential (i.e., structured thinking, consistently high-level work product), there is no one background or profile that represents an ideal VFC Fellow. Each may have a unique record of success and achievement, but we’re looking for candidates who embody the following characteristics:
What we look for
Authenticity, Integrity, Ambition, Curiosity, and Humility.
A VFC Fellow is authentic to one’s true self, is candid with others, and stands up for one’s own values in the face of adversity.
A VFC Fellow is accountable for one’s own decisions and actions, understands the importance of trust and honesty in personal and professional relationships, upholds the highest level of personal integrity, and views entrepreneurship as a source for social good.
A VFC Fellow strives for continuous self-improvement, pushes one’s limits and sets ambitious goals, focuses on achieving long term goals over short term rewards, has a passion for action, thinks big, and works to create initiatives that address global problems, is driven to make Canada the most innovative country in the world, focuses on constantly enhancing our national potential, recognizes that entrepreneurship is essential to enhancing the wellbeing of all Canadians from coast to coast.
A VFC Fellow seeks to constantly expand the breadth and depth of one’s local and global knowledge, is interested in gaining diverse and varied life experiences, is not afraid of asking themselves and others the tough questions, and devotes oneself to a lifelong journey of learning.
A VFC Fellow recognizes one’s own weaknesses and how there is always space for self-improvement, leads humbly, and appreciates the contributions of others.
- Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents are preferred
- University and College graduates should earn their degrees by June 2018
- We generally want applicants who have completed their most recent degree after May 2013. This is not a hard pre-requisite, and is something we are flexible with.
- The Venture for Canada Fellowship application will go live on September 6, 2017 for the 2018 Fellowship Class.
- The first application deadline is October 13th, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST. All applicants who apply before this deadline are eligible for the November 17th Fellow Selection Day.
- The next application deadline is January 12th, 2018. All applicants who apply before this deadline are eligible for the February 9th, 2018 Fellow Selection Day.
- The final application deadline is February 28th, 2018. All applicants who apply before this deadline are eligible for the March 23rd, 2018 Fellow Selection Day.
- If you have any questions about the application process, please email [email protected].
How we evaluate your candidacy?
There is no formula for creating a successful Fellowship application. At the end of the day, we are looking for you to tell your authentic story, and why Venture for Canada is the genuine right fit for you. We are not just interested to learn about your talents, but also about how you can be a contributing member of the VFC community. There are four steps to the interview process: a written application, a video interview, a phone interview, and an in-person Fellow Selection Day.
Fellow Selection Day is meant to be a fun, yet rigorous day, where we learn more about you, and you learn more about Venture for Canada. Over the course of the day, you will meet around a dozen judges, through a series of individual and group interviews.